Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Vietnamese Pho Soup

During our first Christmas together, R and I went up north to meet her parents for the first time.  It seems that, like many cultures, food is synonymous with hospitality in Vietnam, as I was stuffed to the gills with homemade eggrolls, wontons, sweets, and one very special soup; pho.  It is a broth developed for hours or days, then poured in a bowl of rice noodles and, in authentic cases, with servings of raw beef over it that you can push into the broth to cook directly.  It is invariably served in massive bowls, and when any restaurant advertises a large then that bowl can probably hold a family of 4 with pets.

Finding great pho has become something of a mission, as good Vietnamese food can be hard to come by. There are only a few decent places around here, and (I'm assuming) due to health standards they can't serve raw beef on the soup so you aren't going to get the real experience.  That said, here are the 3 best Vietnamese restaurants in the area we are aware of, in no particular order:

1.  Van's Vietnamese Restaurant:  This was the first Vietnamese restaurant I'd ever been to.  It isn't bad, per se, but I feel the soup is pretty forgettable.  Again maybe this is because I'd had the real thing fairly recently, so it's possible I'm being unfair, I just don't think Van when I get an itch for good pho or, for that matter, anything.  That said, it's certainly decent and a good introduction to Vietnamese food, as the grilled pork R let me try off her plate was delicious.  If you go here, try the entrees and leave the soup for one of the next places.

2.  Saigon Spring:  Based in Clifton Park, Saigon Spring is definitely the nicest looking restaurant, with a full bar and good sized, affordable menu.  The pho here is pretty good, there's a lightness to the broth that makes it good for lunch on a cool day.  Though the broth isn't very hearty, it is flavorful and enjoyable to eat, and the portions (as with all pho) are very generous.  If you try any of the entrees, I would again suggest a pork and rice dish (Vietnamese recipes for marinating pork are amazing, just as an aside).  Service is good, which I appreciate as I used to be a waiter.

3.  Kim's Vietnamese Restaurant:  This place just opened a few weeks ago, and we finally managed to get there and try it out this past weekend.  The inside is a little dull and poorly lit, and it seems like they're still setting things up inside.  It was also almost empty on a Friday night which was disappointing, because the pho was really good.  The broth was very rich and hearty, so much so I couldn't even finish it (which has never happened), so it's definitely more of a dinner place.  The flavors they worked into it were amazing, however, and the amount was good as well.  If there was one weakness, the beef seemed pretty dry and overcooked though the beef balls were excellent.  I can't suggest any other dishes as we've only been once, but if you like soup you owe it to yourself to try it here.  Also, the servers were very attentive and courteous without being obtrusive, so in spite of the decor I was very pleasantly surprised by the experience.

Does anyone else have suggestions for good Vietnamese?  As always, leave it in the comments. -J

7 comments:

  1. There's also Pho Yum on Central Ave west of the Northway....we liked it better than Saigon Spring....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've driven past it but paying extra for meat and other fixings on top of a base just doesn't seem logical to us. Maybe one of these days we'll try it.

      Delete
  2. I was dismayed that Kim's which opened up in the middle of the student ghetto didn't have Vietnamese sandwiches, and that the prices weren't lower to cater to the kids. On a warm early summer day, I had no interest eating inside, but took my summer rolls to go. They were just okay.

    But I'm thrilled to hear their broth is good. I've been so horribly dissatisfied with the Pho around here, and every time someone tells me Van's is the best, I loose a piece of my mind.

    FWIW, your instincts are right about Pho Yum. It's not the pho you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A banh mi sandwich is so hard to come by here. Even the ones brought up from NYC just don't compare to the ones in Montreal. I agree with prices, even the entrees are in the $15 and up range. As for the best pho in the CR, my true seal of approval will come when my parents (both Vietnamese)try Kim's and see what they think.

      Delete
    2. So far we've had to go to Montreal to get good, reasonably priced bahn mi. I think the baguettes up there are just better.

      We talked about pho yum and, like R said, didn't feel that a place that charged extra for something that is historically part of the dish would have high culinary standards. Plus, as something of a meathead it just feels wrong to me.

      Delete
  3. I have this recurring dream where a Vietnamese restauranteur from Austin decides to move up here and join his former customers who have gone to Global Foundries... and serves amazing pho with tripe and tendon and delicious bahn mi generously spread with pate inside a crackling bun... and then I wake up.

    I am moderately tempted to try Kim's pho, however. Do they put tripe and tendon in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Otis. No tripe and tendon around these parts. If you don't mind a mini road trip, Pho 88 in Lowell, MA has all the fixings (http://chopsticksoptional.blogspot.com/2013/05/pho-88.html)and just about every place in my hometown of Montreal has the fun stuff.

      Delete