Wednesday, June 5, 2013

What's For Lunch?


Working in Downtown Albany is dangerous--dangerously delicious! I'm surrounded by too many options for lunch, not that it's a problem. I'm terrible at eating the leftovers that I bring for lunch and more than often opt to eat out, especially when it's beautiful outside so I can walk to lunch and walk off those calories from lunch. I'm mostly broke because I don't like to sit at my desk and I'd rather spend my precious lunch hour with a slider than staring at my computer screen. Plus office gossip time and wedding planning with my friend and colleague is worth that $10 expense. 

My lunch criteria are quick, tasty bites in the $10 range. Here are a few (ok, more than a few) of my favorite Downtown Albany lunch spots: 





1. Food Truck Lovin': There is something magical about getting lunch from a food truck. Aside from a terrible food poisoning experience from a truck that shall remain nameless (serves me right for ordering fish off a food truck), my favorites are located along Washington Ave and at the Empire State Plaza. For a healthier alternative, I thoroughly enjoy The Healthy Cafe for wraps, sandwiches, and salads. Everything is fresh and hand made to order. My favorite sandwich just so happens to share a name with our cat, Goomba, which is a grilled chicken sub with buffalo, caramelized onions and blue cheese. Another great foodtruck stop is The Big Fat Greek Trucklocated next to The Healthy Cafe. They make a mean gyro and falafel pita wrap. 

I can't mention great foodtrucks without giving a shout out to Slidin Dirty. Wednesdays and Fridays are awesome at the Plaza not only because it's Farmer's Market Days but slider days! Who doesn't love mini burgers with unique twists?! I was hooked at first bite when I tried the Dirty Italian (a beef slider with arugula, pesto, and prosciutto, mozzarella, and fried green tomato) and fried risotto bites. I became obsessed when I tried the life changing fried avocado fries. Slidin Dirty is so awesome that they've made the Top 10 Finalists on LIVE with Kelly & Michael. Congrats guys! Totally rooting for you!

2. Maiden Lane: This little cobblestone-lined street off of South Pearl St. hides so many awesome, local eateries that are only opened for lunch. A favorite up and coming lunch spot is Dali Mamma which serves seasonal and locally sourced ingredients including bread from All Good Bakers. My go to favorite is the Dali Mozza, a tomato, pesto, and fresh mozzarella sandwich. Other honorable mentions for delicious sandwiches on Maiden Lane include the chicken salad sandwich from Sandwiches to Go, the Peasant Sandwich (think Thanksgiving dinner on a sandwich complete with stuffing, turkey,and cranberry mayo) from The Deli Mill, and hot paninis from Pastanini. Ok, so basically the whole lane. Can't forget about the Sierra Chicken Sandwich (a spicy one with pepperjack cheese and chipotle mayo) at the aptly named "Lunch" around the corner on Broadway. 

3. Ethnic Bites: For your not so typical lunches, I like to venture up to upper Washington Ave/Central Ave to Lark Street for some of the best international foods. A favorite of mine is Kinnaree which serves both Thai and Korean food. This is a great spot for a quick pad thai and drunken noodles as well as Korean bi bim bab
complete with all the side banchan of kimchee and pickled veggies. Kinnaree is also conveniently located near Crisan Bakery which is the perfect stop for a scoop of gelato for dessert, which only increases work productivity post lunch. Other favorite, quick luncheon stops include the all you can eat Indian lunch buffet at Lazeez, complete with naan of course; sushi at Shogun by Washington Park; and tamales and tacos at El Mariachi on Washington Ave. 

Obviously lunch is a very important part of my day that deserves to be enjoyed in tasty ways. Just because I have a day job doesn't mean I can't take a moment to enjoy our local eats in less than 60 minutes.  -R

No comments:

Post a Comment